1 in stock
|Dimensions||50 × 70 cm|
Rare Vintage Israeli Poster of Al HaMishmar Daily Newspaper 1948 Read signed and distributed
Al HaMishmar (Hebrew: על המשמר, lit. On Guard) was a daily newspaper published in Mandate Palestine and Israel between 1943 and 1995. The paper was owned by, and affiliated with Hashomer Hatzair as well as the Hashomer Hatzair Workers Party of Palestine, which became Mapam after 1948. History The paper was established under the name Mishmar on 30 July 1943 as the journal of Hashomer Hatzair. At the top of the first page of every issue was the banner “For Zionism, Socialism and Brotherhood amongst Nations”. Its readership was mainly based on subscriptions from Kibbutz Artzi, Hashomer Hatzair and Mapam members. The name Al HaMishmar first appeared on the edition of 25 January 1948. Its journalists included Yoel Marcus, Eliezer Peri, Tom Segev, Shelly Yachimovich and Avi Benayahu, whilst Leah Goldberg, Avraham Shlonsky, Yehoshua Sobol and Yitzhak Orpaz-Auerbach were all contributors. The paper also had an Arabic version, al-Mersad, of which Abd el-Aziz el-Zoubi and Muhammed Wattad were amongst the editors. Design by Yochanan Simon Social realism style.